View Single Post
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2005-04-19, 09:52

Shameless plug time!

Stone design announces iMaginator for Tiger, available on April 29.

Well, now you know why I've had access to pre-release builds of Tiger.

I worked on some of the icons and included pictures for this app. It's a front end to CoreImage with a simple catalog of effects. It adds some of its own CoreImage plug-ins too, with more to come. More importantly, it has an effects library where you can save and reuse combinations of these effects/filters on any image. iMaginator files keep the effects and their settings intact inside the filepackagefor reuse or editing later (even after saves). You can of course export the iMaginator files as TIFFs, JPEGs, or PNGs using a simple drag-and-drop image well for publishing. iMaginator includes LinkBack technology anyway, so you can link an original iMaginator file into another LinkBack enabled app and subsequent changes to the iMaj file will be reflected in that app. In other words, you can edit images in iMaginator and drop them into Create. Oh, and effects/transitions can be viewed and saved as QT movies.

Unfortunately, while the web page for the app is done, Apple made Stone promise not to show any screenshots of Tiger in action. That includes screenies of iMaginator itself. The web page is online, but it is password protected right now beause those screen captures can't be made public. If you could see the web page, it has some fairly extreme examples of what can be done with the app. That's just so people can see the range of what can be done, and also so the effects show up in the small images.

http://www.stone.com/iMaginator

I wish I could tell you how to access ths page. Really.

Just to be clear, it's no Photoshop killer and doesn't try to be. It doesn't have brushes or more professional-grade features a Photoshop killer would need. Aside from some precision controls for the effects and a crop tool, it presents the effects as directly and simply as possible. It can be used as a quick fixer-upper in some ways that iPhoto doesn't give you but it's really a way to make pictures more painterly and artistic. You know, fun.