View Single Post
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-03-24, 01:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmxroolz
I've checked the FileMaker Pro site. It looks like great database software. But I really have to stick with Access because for work requirements.
Unless you could convince "work" of the benefits of switching to FMP.
It has a Windows version, you know, and could allow all the work machines to be multi-user, multi-platform, on one database file. It doesn't sound like you're using Access that efficiently.
Quote:
I am slowly teaching myself MySQL but it will take time because I'm not that smart.
Even more the reason that you should explore FileMaker Pro. It doesn't sound like your needs are heavy enough to benefit from using SQL. It sounds like you'll benefit much more from the cross-platform and ease-of-use of FileMaker. (disclaimer - I don't work for FileMaker or Apple, I'm just a satisfied FileMaker user and developer since 1991).
Quote:
If worse comes to worse, I'll connect using VNC to my Windows machine (until I give it away to an 'un' lucky family member to do Access work).
RDC beats the hell out of VNC for connecting to a Windows machine (probably because RDC is native Borg-ware). See this thread for more info:
http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=5194
Quote:
Once again, I cannot say how much I appreciate these forums. I have been spending a lot of time lurking here picking up great advice. You guys are very nice to new people.
We're glad to have you here, participating with interesting questions. There is a core base here that has been around many a Mac forum for many a year, and it's the cream of the crop. I look forward to your continued participation!