View Single Post
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-05-06, 19:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by artesc View Post
Or a country.
Haha, well, Coke's headquarters are in (the state of) Georgia, so I think that's where they got the name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artesc
Never heard of it. Pretty sure it is god-awful coffee. I would still drink it.
Maybe it is, but who knows? I want to at least try it. But Coke's never even test marketed it here.

I mean, there is an art to making a fine coffee but unless you go to an independent coffeehouse you're not going to get that anyway. How would a bottler making coffee be any different than the Starbucks barista making it with a push-button machine from a premade "beverage base"? It wouldn't - the only thing that's different is the image, the illusion. And everybody knows that. When you go to Starbucks you aren't paying five bucks for a Vivanno, you're paying five bucks for going to Starbucks - the comfy seats, the jazzy music, the friendly people, the quaint image of a small-town cafe with chalkboard menus. The image of it all, that "third place" between home and work, that's what you're paying for. And everybody knows this because nobody in their right mind would pay five bucks for Starbucks's actual coffee, let's be real.

But it's a recession, and even though Starbucks is a small luxury, even that has to go sometimes, and maybe there's a market for people who don't give a shit about the illusion and just want their damn coffee. I'm sure canned coffee isn't going to be the most gourmet blend or whatever, but it doesn't have to be. It would just have to be convenient, inexpensive, and "good enough." And it's good enough for millions of Japanese people - Japan is the only region Coca-Cola operates in where Coke is not their best-selling beverage, and Georgia sells twice as much. Given all the above economic factors - plus the growing popularity of energy drinks and the growing health concerns with sugary sodas - why wouldn't Coke try to emulate that success over here? Like you said, even if it was godawful coffee, you'd still drink it. I would too.

I mean, even Starbucks - upmarket, image-selling Starbucks - sells a canned Doubleshot "energy drink" here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artesc
But wouldn't drinking it hot be kind of difficult? As in painful?
It's heated, but I don't think it's as hot as regular hot coffee. The can would be hot enough to warm your hands but not to burn them.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong