View Single Post
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-07-14, 15:02

~ I just loathe the music in the Vonage commercial where they start singing: "Hoohoo, hoohoo hoo; hoohoo, hoohoo hoo...". Just gets on my last nerve, and is another 'vase through the tv screen' moment for me.

~ On HGTV (Home and Garden channel), the intro for HouseHunters has this awful 'music' that involves lots of popping, clicking, a doorbell ringing, and the sound of someone making that noise when you put your finger in your mouth and make a popping sound. This intro drove me crazy for a while, but now I just endure it stoically because I like the program.

Unfortunately, the new HouseHunters/New York has Star Jones Reynolds as host. Sorry, but the huge leering grin she gives at the end of her segments is just horrible - garish, caricature-like; 'exactly' like the most hideous gargoyle on a medieval European cathedral.

~ I have nothing but contempt for the ad with the woman doing ninja type leaps and flips around the house as she prepares to clean the floor around the toilet - since "Boys sometimes miss".

Oh PLEASE! It's like discussing cleaning the toilet is so incredibly embarrassing for these people (or they assume that their audience will be so uncomfortable from any allusion to the more inconvenient aspects of bodily functions), that they have to throw in ninja acrobatics to distract people from the unsavory topic of their ad and of the product they're selling.

~ That ad where they show the dirt and filth deep inside a carpet. Omg! It's just too disgusting. Yuck! I can't look at it.

~ Years ago, there was a series of Dust Devil commercials that featured the cutest, most adorable golden retriever puppies. While playing and chasing each other, they'd knock over a plant on the stairway landing and spill dirt all over the place. The Dust Devil would clean up the dirt in no time; and then we'd see all five exhausted puppies asleep together in their wicker basket like the plump, angelic little cutie-pies they were. I just LOVED those commercials... every single time I saw them. I love puppies.

~ Then locally we had the coolest newspaper commercial years ago. An Irish setter would bring the paper into the house from the sidewalk, and then he'd settle down on the carpet to have a nice leisurely read of the news. (We'd see dog paws turning the pages.)

Then he'd hear his master coming down the stairs, and he'd quickly rearrange the paper into the way it was originally folded, and he'd lie there, resting his chin on it, like a good dog. His eyebrows would lift several times (independently of each other ) when his master spoke to him, as if to show his complete and total dog-like subservience and innocence wrt what he had been doing. Hard to describe the charm of this ad, but I really loved it every time I saw it.

~ Oh, and all those *Dogs Rule* commercials from a couple of years ago, that showed dogs playing, having fun, and enjoying life tremendously in their innocent, pure-hearted dog ways? Those were pretty cool. I mean, after all, Dogs DO Rule.

Last edited by Windswept : 2006-07-14 at 16:04.