View Single Post
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-07-30, 10:11

Wrt eels in general:

My question is, is there any restaurant in the entire US where eels are served?

Are eels actually available for purchase at any US market?

Do we even 'have' eels swimming around in waters accessible to US fisherman?

How is it that *eating eels* never made it to our shores from England?

I simply can't imagine how such a state of affairs could possibly have occurred.

(Sorry guys [my British friends]. I just think *eels* are funny, and they are to me a subject of humor - so slimy and unattractive [especially "jellied" eels...urk!! ]. I can't imagine looking at an eel and thinking "Oh yum! Quick, slap that puppy on the grill!" )

Wrt the actual news story, it is truly amazing that ONE person, and an anonymous one at that, could change the history of an entire town with one stroke of a computer key. If *that* isn't power, I don't know what is.

I love animals, and never want to see them abused. I 'was' going to say that using a dead eel in such a way isn't really abusive; but after thinking about it for a while, I guess the Lyme Regis contest does show a certain disregard for the dignity of one of our fellow creatures on this planet. It would imply to impressionable children that animals are ours to do with what we will, no matter 'what' that is.

PS - Okay, what's the French word for 'eels'? Maybe if they didn't have such a silly name they would get a bit more respect.