Thread: Exploring caves
View Single Post
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-10-31, 22:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinney View Post
Generally, though, my claustrophobia makes me hesitant about caving. I don't like tight spaces or the idea of having a lot of rock or dirt between me and the great outdoors. Being a miner would be my nightmare job. Even worse would be being a crew member on a submarine.
I do remember not being thrilled about crawling in the mud on my stomach through REALLY narrow passageways; but I was following behind someone, and once I got into the passage, it was too late to get out. I could easily have freaked out, but since I was already committed to being there, I just had to completely control my mind, and *not* think, even for a second, about the narrowness and confinement.

It's the exact same thought process I use when having an MRI, except during 'that' I keep my eyes closed every second or I'd truly never be able to do it. Opening my eyes inside that tube and seeing the ceiling like four inches away? Omg, not in a million years!!!

Quote:
That photo in the first post is just beautiful though Carol. That sort of caving would not freak me out, as there is a lot of open space and a clear opening above. And going up and down a cliff face does not bother me the way caving would.
Oh yes, I agree. I think that photo is just unbelievably stunning! And even though going down on that rope for 1,000' - or whatever it is - seems terrifying, I would give just anything to be able to do that.

Rappelling down a cliff face is easy and fun once you do it. It's just taking that *first* step over the edge for the very first time that is pretty terrifying. But I have to think that if regular rappelling is easy and fun, then going down that rope into the cave would be just *unbelievably* thrilling. I'd give just anything to do it. I mean, all the really exciting stuff generally is also pretty scary. That's why *adventure* is one of my all-time favorite things.