View Single Post
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-07-29, 15:21

I haven't seen it just lately, but I felt a strange aversion for that commercial where an Asian woman is at work, and all nearby stacks of paperwork starting blowing across the room. Everywhere she goes, a wind starts blowing stuff around, and nearly blowing her over.

Since I always clicked away from it, I never knew it was Farmer's Insurance, urging people to buy wind insurance. What a dumb commercial. Why don't they just show people's houses blown apart? Seems like that would get the point across more straightforwardly than the stupid little dramatics they did choose to show.

I have mixed feelings about that (Capital One?) commercial where the lady gets a bad home mortgage that puts a monkey on her back. Everywhere she goes, the monkey wreaks havoc and destruction, breaking expensive glassware in a shop, etc.

Any commercial that causes anxiety, dread or discomfort is something I'm just not interested in watching.

There's a commercial I like that I wanted to mention; but damn, I just can't remember which it is. Amazing how much easier it is to remember the ones we *don't* like.

Oh, and I pretty much continue my loathing for the DiTech commercials. They used to show a creepy, slimeball guy - who was supposed to represent ditech's competitor. But guess what? That creepy, disgusting guy became completely *linked* with ditech - at least, in 'my' mind.

So now, they have a commercial saying "People are smart" - I guess to make up for their previous obnoxious ad that probably brought their business down amazingly. Now, they make a big deal of saying: "Hey, we don't *really* think you all are ignorant twits, and that's why we are proclaiming, at great expense many times per day, that you are in fact 'smart'." Oh brother.

And another thing, BP couldn't be bothered to maintain their pipelines adequately, and when they broke down, caused turmoil and fuel shortages across the nation. But here they are spending an absolute fortune, running constant ads for months about what foresight they have, and how they've invested in the 'future' of energy, when they can't even bother to properly run the business they already have!

I think I'm going to have to write a letter to their public relations officer and advise that they spend all those advertising millions on maintaining their effing pipelines instead. Twits! GRRRRR.

Last edited by Windswept : 2007-07-30 at 15:54.