View Single Post
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2015-03-09, 20:39

Of course the Apple Watch Edition is $10,000. It's a fucking gold watch. Did people really think Apple was going to sell it for a couple hundred above cost? They're not a bargain basement brand. Their real mistake was quoting a price at all.

That said, it's not like the Edition is the only model, so I don't get the wailing. They made a piece of jewelry that's priced as one, but it's not like there aren't options that are priced more like gadgets. At $349, the Sport makes, say, the FitBit Surge ($250) look old and ridiculously overpriced, like something out of the last century. In fact, $349 is a lower entry price than the first iPod or iPhone or iPad.

The breadth of choices is impressive. It really does feel like we're on year two of the Apple Watch already, with the cheaper Sport being the iPhone 5C or iPad mini to the steel watch's 5S or iPad Air.

More than any other Apple product, I feel like the Watch has to be felt to be judged. But if it feels as good as the reports suggest, watch out.

Of course, my favorite is the gorgeous red leather modern buckle. Pity you have to buy a gold watch to get it.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong