View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2015-09-05, 19:55

I've already decided that if the news about the 16GB still being the entry-level model, I'm just going to go with it. There's no way in hell I'm going to spend $299 on a 64GB model. That'll just be a waste for me.

While I'd love the 32GB model to (finally) be placed at that $199 mark (and save the 16GB for the $99 and below models), the fact is I've had a 32GB iPhone 5 for nearly three years (since October 2012) and I always have between 17-20GB free (out of a reported 27GB "available". Once again, I over-bought and didn't really need to. I dropped $299 in 2012, thinking "well, I'll have a ton of space...". I sure did, and didn't really use any of it, as it turns out.

So a 32GB iPhone would be nice, just for the headroom and complete lack of worry. And if those rumors are bogus and I can get a 32GB 6s for $199, I'll be happy to do so, of course (foolish me, I've assumed all along that was just a given, heading into 2016...a 32/64/128 lineup). But I'm not paying $100 extra to get the 64GB, knowing 50-55GB of it will sit empty and unused for two years.

So they're only getting $199 from me this time around, no matter what. I'll make it work. I'm not the app and photo hound I've been in the past, and I'm currently using less than 3.5GB of space(!) on my 32GB iPhone. So I think I can make that work just fine on a 16GB if I have to. I'd rather save the money at this point than have 64GB that'll never get used.

If Apple lames out and keeps the 16/64/128 thing again, then surely, come 2017 on my 7s purchase (assuming I still even give a shit about any of this stuff...and there's no guarantee, either way, this point), they'll finally get around to having a 32/64/128 lineup? Would be nice. While I don't like going "backwards", I'm more okay with that than paying extra for something I'll never need/use.

Off-topic (click to toggle):
But, big picture, I did what I set out to do and finally got myself to the second-year "s" cycle. To be perfectly honest, my desire for/faith in a Rev. A/first-generation of any Apple product is pretty much non-existent, unfortunately...going forward, I'm only interested in the "s" variant iPhone. I'll let others be the guinea pigs for the 6, the 7 next fall, etc. Their QC seems to have slipped and suffered a bit over the years. But me keeping my original 2007 iPhone for a full three years really screwed me up, upgrade-wise, over the years. In eight years, I've had only three iPhones, with two of them kept for three years. If I'd been smart (and upgraded after my first two-year contract expired in 2009), I would've upgraded after those first two years to the 3Gs, then I could've gotten the 4s, 5s and now the 6s...a spiffy, proven/improved-up "s" model every two years. Going forward, that's what I'll now be able to do. Just took an extra full year of the iPhone 5 to counter that 2007-2010 thing. Took me long enough...