View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-04-16, 16:38

Just saw this...can't help but think it's all related/connected.

Just way too many "various iMacs going away" stories of late (the iMac Pro, certain 21.5" offerings).

Might be like November, with the M1 stuff placed into an existing 21.5" body (as they did with the 13" notebooks...no redesign, yet). Or maybe the rumored 24" iMac finally appears?

If something iMac-related happens Tuesday, my money is actually on the former.

I think they'd like to unveil a redesigned, next-generation iMac, both sizes (24" and something-larger-than-27"?), together, with next-generation M-whatevers, and that might be another 6+ months. But they can certainly do what they did in November and release an M1 21.5" iMac in the current design, just so they have another M1-based Mac out in the world, and then buy themselves another 6-? months to unveil an entirely new iMac lineup. Why not put their flagship desktop out ASAP, even if it's using the same M1 (performance, etc.) found in the current M1-based Macs. That's going to do the job for most users, IMO.

Those who don't agree can, and will, wait for second-generation M1 and a redesign, later this year (or even early next).

The fact that all these recent iMac-related stories never center around the 27" seems to support this. The IMac Pro has gone away and all we've heard on the 21.5" is how various configurations are drying up/becoming scarce. The 27", like the 16" MacBook Pro, is kept around as an Intel-based option for those needing that. But get the smaller, affordable and more "consumer"-friendly Macs transitioned first, ASAP.

Then all they have to focus on are the next-gen, redesigned MacBook Pros, iMacs and Power Macs in the coming 6-12 months.

Announce an M1 21.5" iMac Tuesday, keep the 27" Intel-based one (and maybe even a 21.5") around for the rest of the year. And we all know other stuff is coming. But I think the way is being cleared for a sub-$1,499 21.5" M1 iMac.

PS - Regardless of what comes, or doesn't come, Tuesday, I don't buy into the "iMacs in colors" thing that's been going around. That would be a genuine surprise to me if they unveiled a bunch of new, redesigned iMacs and they came in colors. But, sure as the world, the more I discount/poo-poo the notion, they'll go and do it. So this is all I'm gonna say about that...I don't think it's a thing. I don't even think we're seeing a redesigned iMac, even. I think the last half of 2021 (and the first half of 2022) is when all the really cool stuff starts to hit...redesigned-from-the-ground-up, next-generation iMac and MacBook Pro (and, of course, whatever latest, fever dream, unasked-for horseshit they try to make the Mac Pro this go around...a pyramid, a giant fan with the guts mounted to each blade, a set of stainless steel wheels with a CPU inside, a $7,000 aluminum sphere, etc.).

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-04-17 at 10:23.