View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-09-14, 15:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Is there a camera comparison chart for current and previous model iPhones? I'm just curious how they line up. Like how does my 11 Pro compare to the 13 mini or Pro?
13 Pro Max vs. 12 Pro Max:

* Cinematic mode in 1080p at 30 fps*
* 3x vs. 2x zoom
* 2.8/1.5/1.8 apertures vs. 2.2/1.6/2.4 (I am not a photography expert but my read on this is: the telephoto one is bigger because bigger zoom; the other ones are smaller for higher precision)
* Smart HDR 4 instead of 3*
* photographic styles*
* ProRe video recording*

13 Pro vs. 12 Pro:

* 3x vs. 2x zoom
* 2.8/1.5/1.8 apertures vs. 2.0/1.6/2.4 (this one's interesting; looks like the 13 Pro is the same as the 13 Pro Max, whereas the 12 Pro and 12 Pro Max weren't)
* photographic styles*
* ProRe video recording*

13 vs. 12:

* Sensor-shift optical image stabilization vs. Optical image stabilization. This was previously a Pro-only feature.
* photographic styles*
* ProRe video recording*

13 mini vs. 12 mini: same as non-mini, I think.

These features seem to be "software" / require the A15. That is, they don't actually affect the physical camera hardware. In general, the front camera seems physically unchanged.

So, hardware-wise, adding sensor shift to the non-Pro is a big deal. On the Pro, the apertures (and, in effect, the zoom) are once again changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I'm more and more beginning to see the iPhone as my wife's main camera since she never has her point-and-shoot. Heck, I don't even know where it is right now.
Point-and-shoots are becoming increasingly silly; they're as good or worse in picture quality, far worse in handling (bulky, heavy, typically not around, worse UI), and lack many feature of a modern phone camera. (Do PoSs even come with geotagging standard yet?)

Now, DSLRs and mirrorless cameras are a different story. So the $1k and up segment still has a raison d'être.