View Single Post
MacWins

2005-03-25, 22:04

Thanks again, everyone. This helps immensely! (Thanks Franz...it helps to hear from someone in the same boat.)

To summarize the Remote Desktop option, it sounds like the only disadvantages to Remote Desktop is that you cannot take your PC with you and you cannot share files (via drag & drop) with your Mac. Are these fair statements?

To summarize the VPC option, it seems the disadvantage is the speed at which you operate (and the purchase of extra RAM to support the emulation), since you still have to purchase virus protection software with either option. The advantages are that you can tranfer files extremely easily and you can take your "PC" with you anywhere. Correct?

Here's a few other questions:

If I wanted portability of my "PC" and chose not to get VPC for my Mac, would it be better to pick up a cheap laptop to run through my Mac via Remote Desktop as opposed to a desktop PC? I'd like to be able to run everything through a big 23" or 30" HD Cinema screen at some point.

Also, in order to share files easily, could I pick up a firewire HD to act as a backup as well as "file exchanger" for both my Mac and PC?

I think portability is paramount to my decision making due to my mobility. Is VPC the only option I have?