Machine Model: PowerBook G4 15"
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.1)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1.25 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 512 MB
Bus Speed: 167 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.7.1f1

What would you recommend doing/purchasing to make it as fast/efficient as possible if I were going to choose the VPC option?
You need more RAM. Once you have 1GB or more of RAM (just get a $150 1GB stick to replace your PB's smallest DIMM you have in there now) buy VPC7 (or VPC6 if you can find it at a discount). Buy the version that includes XP Home edition. That will be everything you need for a basic XP setup, and it will do all the setup work for you so you won't need to worry about it. Then install your PC software that you need to run. Then disable the network interface card on your virtual PC. Problem solved - no more virus issues(you can't be infected if the infection can't get to your PC), and you've got a way to run your old PC software at good speed, and portably too!

Remote Desktop Connection (RDC/RDP) works great. It's a fantastic choice, and it's lightning fast. It also requires a constant network connection to the PC you're trying to control, said PC must be Server 2003 or XP Pro, and it requires a lot more technical know-how than the solution presented above. For a simple, quick setup, just get VPC with built-in XP and go to town with it. You'll pay more, but you'll get a solution that will just work, out of the box, with no other setup hassles, and Microsoft will support the entire thing for you from start to finish.

That said, I heavily use VPC (EDIT: Aggh! I meant RDC!!). I do so because I have lots of PCs and I'm typically well within wireless network range of one or two of them. I'm also technically inclined, and I'm willing to troubleshoot when there's a problem.

Again, I suggest VPC with a bundled copy of XP built "inside" of it, for a very simple and fast setup, and the purchase of a 1GB RAM stick to put in your PB.

foo - owner, 1.33Ghz PB 12.1" & user of VPC7 and MS RDP1.03

Last edited by foo : 2005-03-26 at 17:34. Reason: Typo