View Single Post
foo

2005-03-26, 17:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacWins
Foo (or anyone else) --

I'm planning on picking up 2 Gigs of RAM to make this run at peak performance. Is that a smart decision? Could you recommend the OWC RAM I'd need (send a link please--the cheaper the better!)?

Also, could you send a link with for the software you were referencing (the one with XP "inside" VPC)?

How do I disable the network interface card on VPC?
Q: Do you need 2G of RAM?
A: It depends on how RAM-hungry your PC app is. The short answer is almost assuredly no - you don't need 2G of RAM. That said, 2 1GB SO-DIMMs are around $150 each these days (outpost.com, kingston brand, $150 + $20 shipping/tax - $20 MIR) so it wouldn't bankrupt you, and it would run a little bit faster. I still suggest 1 1GB SO-DIMM, and then see how it goes. Give the XP environment 512MB of that (note that YOU must do this - VPC by default only gives it 256MB), and you should be fine on all counts (with an additional 1GB DIMM).

Q: Recommend OWC RAM?
A: Any PC2700 SO-DIMM works fine. I suggest buying from the cheapest vendor you can find. I bought Kingston at Outpost for $150, as I said above.

Q: Software to run XP inside of VPC?
A: Microsoft sells VPC with XP Home bundled inside of it. Rather than pay $150 for VPC, you pay $300 - $150 for VPC and $150 for XP Home. (I'm not certain on the pricing, that's just an example to illustrate why it's $300 for the VPC with XP Home bundled with it.)

Q: How to disable the NIC in VPC?
A: Same way you disable any NIC in Windows - load up XP, Control Panel, Network, right-click on Local Area Connection NIC, and select DISABLE. Done - and virus free forever! (Assuming no floppies, no other software added, etc, etc, etc.)

Last edited by foo : 2005-03-26 at 17:36. Reason: Typo