View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-12-22, 16:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Will be fun to see.

I seem to have read somewhere that a guy got Windows for ARM working on an M1 Mac.
Yes.

Here, using QEMU: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads...1-mac.2272013/

(Note that QEMU is mostly used to emulate the portions that Apple's Hypervisor.framework doesn't include, such as networking. The actual CPU virtualization is done by Apple.)

This setup reaches 1288/5449 scores inside Windows, using an ARM build of Geekbench. That single-threaded score is faster than any Intel Mac, but it does represent an overhead of about 32%.

And here, using Parallels: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads...#post-29408765

Again, the bulk of the virtualization is already done included in macOS, not provided by Parallels.

With Parallels, the Geekbench/ARM/virtualized Windows score is 1523/2825. I'm guessing faffoo had their VM configured to just two cores; I didn't think to ask. So the multi-core score is a little misleading. That single-core score, though!* That's just a 11.6% overhead now.

And these are both with no optimizations yet. The first is basically someone's QEMU hackjob; the second is a professional approach by Parallels, but their very first beta nonetheless, and I believe they have made no mention of Windows-specific ARM optimizations yet.

Now, to be clear, all of this does leave open the question: how about x86 apps running inside the emulator inside that VM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
I didn't read much or look into performance, but it was working. So it may not be very far off. However, I think the market is going to need Microsoft's cooperation.
We shall see. Microsoft has already helped (unwittingly, it would seem) by adding 64-bit x86 emulation in beta just a few weeks ago.

I don't think either Apple or Microsoft are bothered by the idea, but Apple (and perhaps also Microsoft) just don't seem particularly invested in making it as smooth as possible. Yet?

*) There isn't currently any laptop CPU, from either AMD or Intel, that will reach this score natively. The closest is Intel's Tiger Lake i7-1165G7, at 1408.