View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-07-06, 11:25

I don't quite buy that they're bothering to do a high-end M1 variant this late.

But if they are, the naming scheme makes sense to me. The M2 is the new generation; the M1X is an offshoot of the old generation.

(People also seem really confused about Intel's "i" naming. "I have an i7; it should be fast". Yes, within that specific generation and power budget. A 2015 28W i7 is faster than a 2015 28W i5. But it may be slower than a 2020 28W i7, or than a 2015 95W i7. It's an "all else being equal, i9 and i7 are the premium, i5 and i3 are the mid range, Pentium and Celeron are low-cost" thing.)

Makes sense to me, but I think Intel is sort of in its own way by adding some aspects that really aren't needed. Why is Xeon a separate line? Why do the Pentium and Celeron brands still exist? Why are there so many variants within? I bet if a Steve Jobs type were at the helm, they'd vastly strip down the product lineup and make it, frankly, better.