View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2016-03-16, 17:12

Well that's encouraging.

Poor Lucas. The guy only created the greatest world/franchise/saga I've ever known...only to forever taint it from 1999-2005 and reduce himself to a punchline/pariah on his own work.

That actually is kinda sad.

In a sane world, George Lucas should be heavily involved in any Star Wars or Indiana Jones outing. It's kinda weird and sad that he isn't, but...he shouldn't have written and/or directed such miserable, unwatchable shit either. So...

It's entirely possible - and I'm kinda leaning toward believing it at this point - that the man shot his cinematic wad by 1989. And it's just been momentum, reputation and kindness of others sustaining him ever since (until he sold to Disney and got out from under it, because even he probably knew he wasn't going to be the best thing for it all, moving forward).

Has that ever happened before, in pop culture or the arts? Someone creating something so huge, wonderful and popular...and then also being the very person who ends up kinda mucking it up? Tolkien? Roddenberry?

It's hard to feel bad for a billionaire, but I do have to wonder what goes through his head as he lies in bed late at night..."I had so many stories I wanted/needed to tell...".

Time-wise, I'm curious to see where/when/how they frame this new one. Crystal Skull jumped roughly 20 years (as in real life as well) into the future, from the 30's into the 1950's atomic age. That was 11 years ago, so do they do it again, placing a 70-something Indy squarely into the 1960's? The Space Race? References to Kennedy, Cuba, Vietnam, the Beatles, Laugh-In, hippies, etc.? That'll be really weird! The hat/fedora thing was gone by then, so will he be the sore-thumb guy and just hold on tight to his iconic headwear in a world where most men gave them up years earlier? Will he drive a VW? Does he own any Hendrix or Jefferson Airplane albums?