View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2016-03-21, 08:20

Yeah, that's definitely going to be a factor for many. Good point.

Weird that WB can't read the landscape well enough to sidestep that particular unnecessary risk and box office denter.

For several reasons, I have a feeling we're about to witness 2016's biggest box office disappointment. Nothing about this screams "in-the-bag mega blockbuster!!!" to me. At all. It'll likely be the very definition of "opening weekend wad-shooter", if you'll pardon the crude description. And that they've placed the all-important (more than ever) opening weekend on a date where so many will indeed be busy with/focused on something much more important to them...that just seems like such a boneheaded, amateur hour logistical/tactical decision on the part of WB.

This movie has far more going/working against it than not, IMO (iffy writers/director, coming off a lukewarm - at best - previous entry, unappealing or outright weird casting, a general sense of "us too!" catch-up to Marvel/Avengers with desperate, everything-but-the-kitchen-sink moviemaking/world-building, the aforementioned scheduled opening date and the automatic guarantee for huge no-show numbers, the overall lack of genuine buzz/interest, weak trailers, etc.).

Sad. In theory, this should be one of the most hyped, anticipated movies in ages (after The Force Awakens), simply because of the presence of these two characters together.

It just isn't.

The hit pieces and "what went wrong" analysis we'll be seeing in the business and entertainment press in another 7-10 days will be quite the read, I'm betting.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2016-03-21 at 08:47.