View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2016-04-02, 18:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
We've talked here before about how with movies like this there simply aren't enough geeks and diehards to float it 100%. There has to be regular joe, mainstream appeal beyond the midnight premiere/costumed/neckbeard/Con crowds. And if those viewers aren't lured in by Avengers (the first one) or The Force Awakens-level praise and positive word-of-mouth, there aren't enough fast-food tie-ins or Kimmel/Fallon appearances in the world that will sustain it.

I do expect a decent opening weekend (Thursday and Friday, for sure), simply from the diehard/hardcore fans and the random, curious heathens not doing Easter-related stuff But come Sunday, the word - the real word, not WB marketing/hype - will be out. And then we'll see.

These days, movies - especially ones like this - make or break on opening weekend. There is no longer a "slow burn" or "naturally building" phase as there was 30-40 years ago. These things open wide, they open big and they open everywhere. So the response, positive or negative, is immediate and charts the path, immediately out of the gate.
Well I wasn't wrong.

Good grief...if you can't pull off Batman(!) and Superman(!!), together for the first time(!!!), any better than this, I assure you nobody on the planet gives two swinging damns about Aqua-Man and whatever other second-tier character standalone movies they've got planned. The Wonder Woman is currently being filmed and I suspect all involved must have that horrible feeling of "we're working hard on a turd nobody is going to care about". That would suck.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2016-04-02 at 18:55.