View Single Post
Mac+
9" monochrome

2019-12-22, 13:00

Has anybody seen it yet?

I saw it two nights ago on a whim. Didn’t plan to but, funnily enough, the evening became free so I seized the moment.

I had some gut reactions... and questioned my own perspectives. I honestly think that watching SW in your late forties is different than your early teens. (Really Mac+?)

Here are three opinions, none of which contain plot based spoilers:

1. The emotional connection with the main characters was not there for me - not in the same way it was for Luke, Han, and Leia, for example.

2. I could tell the levers being pulled. I’m not sure how much of that is attributable to bad film-making versus the wisdom that comes with age: pre-teen me didn’t see the levers in ESB... I did in ROTJ and definitely did in TROS.

3. Finally, there are some angry people in the world. Immediately after the film, I hit Twitter to search some review/opinions and a lot seemed to centre around the role modelling and token nods to gender. I mean forty two years of a saga and the treatise that are being written concern the roles attributed and directed. I get that cinema (art) is a reflection of our time but I think this movie - in perspective of the whole - deserved more than being a platform for gender agenda.

To close, I was reflecting on my recollection of the movies. I have the star crawl direction/opening shot of IV, V, & VI burned in my brain. I can’t recall the opening from any other episode and that includes TROS, which I saw on Saturday night.

All I want is a simple life
twitter