View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-13, 20:05

I think the virtual tourism thing could be something, especially if the world just continues to get goofy and stay as it is (or worse) re: viruses and pandemics.

If you could sit on your couch and look around at the sights of Venice from your slowly-moving gondola, that's worth something. A safari in Africa (minus the "getting eaten" part). I'd like to visit Sweden and Norway someday. But in case I can't/don't...

I won't lie...one of the things I like to do is "drive" through known places via Google Street View. To do something like that, but have it be more immersive and "real" does have its appeal, especially if the world doesn't allow us to visit in real life because of How Things Areā„¢. I'm not down on the idea, I just hope it would be used smartly and fools aren't out there on I-75 driving with this stuff strapped to their heads. And I know they're gonna.

But even those things above might be too limited appeal or "who cares", big picture, for it to ever make a splash.

Because if the world ever does get to normal in my lifetime, I truly want to get out and see more of it than I have thus far.