View Single Post
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2006-05-04, 22:08

There was a very cool article explaining that 1080 is all a myth, and actually 720 is better effectively as good... I will try to dig it out..

Here's a couple of quotes from another source while I find that article..

Quote:
CAN YOU SEE THE DIFFERENCE?
That's the key question. "If you have 20/20 vision, you would need to be closer than 2-1/2 times the screen's picture height to appreciate the quality of 1080p," says Richard Doherty, co-founder and research director of The Envisioneering Group, a technology assessment and research firm. "Otherwise, you might as well be watching 720p."
Quote:
TO BUY OR NOT TO BUY?
Is the extra resolution worth the price premium of a 1080p set? That depends a lot on what you want from your TV. If you insist on neighborhood bragging rights in the resolution department, then you may want to buy a 1080p model to "futureproof" your purchase. But if you choose to make the 1080p splurge, you should do it knowing that it might be a couple of years before widespread 1080p content becomes available. And, even then, the 1080p advantage will be pretty subtle on anything less than the largest screens. On the other hand, if you are interested in making the jump to high definition today--and enjoying the HD content that is already available--then most current 720p and 1080i sets will deliver stunning results right now.
It looks like you are gonna have to be pretty savvy to wade through all these specs..

'Wobulation' is another issue to watch out for... What a silly term!

I am not sure if this was the article, but it covers a lot of the same stuff..

http://editorials.teamxbox.com/xbox/...n-of-1080p/p1/

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt

Last edited by scratt : 2006-05-04 at 22:21.