View Single Post
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-11-10, 15:33

Dead linkage for me, but your site looks pretty good Steve. Those are some good looking college (?) girls you've got on your roster. I can imagine what a horror it must be having them remove some or all of their clothes so you can photograph them.

Dorian: great post. Informative and useful. And I do understand the concept of bayer pattern sensors vs. how a Foveon records light. I was more talking about the end result. In all this, the camera's processing capabilities, the camera's meter, and a host of other factors contribute to the end result. If all there was, was the difference between how the two systems record light, I dare say no photographer would be without a Sigma camera.

Likewise, this is how some cameras from the same company, end up with better color and noise performance than other cameras using the same lens and subject. Anyway, the theory matters not but rather the end result, which is why so many people swear by the S3 even though it is slow and "low" MP count. There's something special about the way it captures golden light in particular. I've seen some shots from an S3, on a misty golden morning that look ... different than all the rest. Not necessarily more or less detailed, just more life-like. The S4 suffers from a similar problem as the SD-14, the MP count hasn't changed, but rather the processing speed and I'm sure the noise algorithms.

And the bottom line for all of us, no matter which platform we use / tout, is that

a)everything still follows the light. bad light = bad picture

b)MP for MP sake is useless if you have no print-based need for them. My boss ponders the idea of going from a 22MP MF back to a 39MP back, and I'm like "For God's sake why?" Other than more efficient shooting because of the use of CF cards, and a larger preview, it would gain us nothing. If you don't shoot for billboards, who cares, once you get beyond about 12 or 14 MP. All you're really doing is giving yourself more room to crop and still make a large print.

...into the light of a dark black night.

Last edited by Moogs : 2006-11-10 at 15:44.