View Single Post
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-11-09, 19:42

Maybe my definition of resolution and yours are different.

Do you consider the numbers

3872 x 2592 pixels

and

2896 x 1944 pixels

to be "image resolutions"?

The first is from a 10MP camera, the second a "half size" setting from the same camera. The SD14 images are 2,652 × 1,768. That is, when you open a document in Photoshop and go to "image size"... the above number is what you will see and what you will have to work with in terms of data. The above number is less than 5MP. You can spin it any way you want but it's a relatively low resolution IMO.

It may stand up to 50% Bicubic Smoother enlargements better than any other 4, 5 or 6 MP camera for example, but that doesn't make it "equivalent" to a good 8MP, because that 8MP is what it is. You don't have to stretch the image data to get there the way you would with an SD14. And don't get me wrong: I don't think it's "bad" at all; quite the contrary its colors are probably very compelling. And if all you need to do is make prints up to about 11x14. If you're regularly making prints larger than this, I wouldn't buy the SD-14, especially given the fact they're not really giving a price break despite the subpar specs.

And now back to your regularly scheduled BW photo expose.

...into the light of a dark black night.