View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-12-16, 16:28

Possibly, according to this AppleInsider story.

Nothing too interesting or earth-shattering except for this one passage that caught my eye:

Quote:
The upgraded iMac is expected to feature "a new panel size and a price point for the mainstream market," according to the report.

Is "mainstream market" code for "all the Best Buy shoppers who look for $400 computers?"

While it's obvious Apple will never create a stylish AIO iMac for $400, does it mean that maybe they're considering a new, smaller size to offer their flagship AIO desktop at a sub-$1,000 price?

That's honestly how I took it. When I think "mainstream market", I think of the regular joes and janes out there (as opposed to the high-end pro or geekster market.

The fact that Apple is currently selling four iMacs at two sizes - and they cover the $1,200-2,000 space nicely - I have to believe that any new "panel size and price point" is going to be heading in the other (downward) direction, trying to break that $1,000.

Thing is, Apple did this a few years ago with those education-only 17" white plastic iMacs. So there's precedent. I know 21.5" is great (and so is 27"), but I have to believe folks would jump on a black and aluminum 17"-18" iMac for $999 (or less) in great numbers (assuming it isn't hobbled or stripped down too much).

What do you all think? I know it's just a rumor (from a source that tends to be all over the place when it comes to said rumors), but just pretend for a second that it's true and legit. With the new Mac mini now going for $699 and up (with no screen or keyboard) is there a way Apple could sell a smaller iMac for $899-999 and not cause trouble for the mini (or suddenly make it look like an awful deal)?

I keep turning folks onto refurb $929-1,019 21.5" iMacs. But that's a huge bite for everyone, and all of them have told me that's more than they were hoping to spend (even though they're happy with their switch to the platform). But I'd love to be able to point them to a snazzy ~18" iMac that goes for under a grand, new (hell, depending on the specs and other factors that's something I might be interested in on my next go-around).