Thread: New 13" MBP
View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-05-04, 09:53

Looks like those two lower-end models got a new keyboard and storage increase. If you’re going to play in that $1,000-1,500 space, I’d just buy an Air bumped to i5 and 16GB. You can get that for $1,299 and that would be a fine machine and it couldn't be that much less of a performer than those two lower-end 13" Pros (especially since they didn't get updated to the latest Intel stuff).

Seems the new 13” Pro is only compelling once you get into the $1,799+ offerings. I would never spend $1,299 on a crippled “pro” (that I’d still need to BTO a few things on, taking it well into the $1,499-and-up realm...at which point, just buy the $1,799 model and have better everything, right?) but it makes all the sense, to me, to spend that on an upgraded/enhanced Air. Always aim/shoot upward. A tricked-out Air is just a better use of $$$ than a hobbled, weirdo Pro, IMO.

I’m betting this is the last 13” with Intel we see. A year from now, we’ll see a new 14” with their in-house guts. Today’s release is probably more of a stopgap deal, big picture.

I’d be okay with either. Just need to figure if that extra $500 is worth it. 5-10 years ago, definitely. These days, not so clear cut.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-05-04 at 11:44.