Thread: New 13" MBP
View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-05-04, 12:15

For $1,649 you can have an i7-based Air with 16GB RAM and a 512GB SSD.

I can't believe there's enough true performance difference in that $1,000-1,500 space between the Air (especially tricked-out a bit) and those two lower-cost 13" Pro models. Maybe there is and I just don't realize it, but I'm not really seeing it on paper.

Just seems like Apple could simplify their lives (manufacturing, stocking, shipping, etc.) AND customer perception/buying by ceding that $1,000-1,500 notebook space to the Air (and its various BTO options) and just making the 13" Pro consist of those two upper models, starting at $1,799 (and, ideally, even less some day...$1,599 or 1,699?). But right now, with 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, the latest Intel stuff, etc., the new $1,799 is a pretty nice offering and nothing to apologize, or make excuses, for.

Having those hobbled $1,299 and $1,499 models around, labeled "pro", seems weirder than ever.

The smart-ass/cynic in me kinda wonders if they're kept around for the crowd who will only buy/own "pro"-level gear (even when it isn't) because their egos won't let them walk around with a Non-Serious™ "Mommy blogger laptop" like the Air? They'd truly rather own a less-than "pro" model (for the sake of appearances) than to ever walk around like a "total pussy and lightweight" (their characterization, not mine) with something without the word "pro" written on it.

Don't scoff too hard...I've known point-missing, spec-whore dipshits like this.