Thread: New 13" MBP
View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-05-05, 13:39

Not for those who haven't grown up on it. We're years and years from that, but somewhere down the road, one's MacBook keyboard/trackpad area will likely be a big iPad screen. We wouldn't care about keyboard feedback/travel if we never grew up on it and knew what it was. This generation coming up - and certainly the one behind them (my niece and nephew's kids, in another 15-20 years) - definitely won't be tied to old traditional ideas of text input.

If you've done nothing but type on glass since you were 10-12 years old, you don't have any strong feelings about/ties to those things. Why would you, as it was never really part of your life? If you learned to type on an iOS device, and that's all you've really ever used, there's no way you're going to be precious about hardware keyboards the way we are, those of us in our 40's/50's (and older).

We came up on physical keyboards. They're coming up on something totally different.

Mind you, I'm not talking about something that's going to take place in 3-5 years. I'm talking a good 15-20 (and maybe even longer). All of us will have to croak off and then all the people my niece's age (17) will have to be in their 30's and 40's, and their kids getting their hands on tech of the day (Siri will probably be reading our minds at that point anyway, so keyboards, period, won't even be a thing).

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-05-05 at 13:54.