View Single Post
crazychester
Dick in the Abstentia, The

2020-05-15, 19:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot View Post
I love the app the Alberta government just paid $650,000 for. On iPhones the app must be left actively running - like put the phone carefully in your pocket with the screen on running.

People don't really want to use the app as it is, and this kind of seals the deal for most. Having it run in the background is one thing, but this is pretty stupid.
This sounds like it's the same as the one we're using. But I thought we got it for free from Singapore.

Theoretically the apps are a good idea but unfortunately, it seems governments are using them as a panacea rather than a genuinely useful tool. Our app has been available for 2 weeks but it's still not being used in practice.

I'd consider d/l-ing the app from Apple. But I'd need an awful lot of i's dotted and t's crossed before I'd d/l an app developed and promoted by the Australian government.

I wish I'd kept a journal of this whole thing. The shifting messaging is fascinating to watch. I think a lot of what is going on ATM is an effort to convince people like me and quite a few of you to just go gallivanting about, spending money and....... spending money.

Ain't happening guys.

Incentivise people who don't have paid sick leave to stay home if symptomatic and I'll reconsider my position. Until then, fortunately I have the luxury of saying "no dice". Not going out and about. Won't be spending any money I don't have to either.

This is what I worry about:

Lots of unemployed people = a great time to kick workers while they're down.

My/your neoliberal government:

So unemployed person, you thought no pay rises and supporting a lifestyle you don't need on borrowed dime was bad?

Well have we got a deal for you!