View Single Post
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-03-31, 20:17

So I have this entertainment center that just was covered in clutter. It's in a playroom that's been covered with toys and stuff so it's not normally an issue. Thing is we are starting to really purge stuff that the kids don't play with. This made my entertainment stand look really bad. Here it was:

Notice the Apple TV sitting on the Xbox and off center so it doesn't block the vents? It was too much for me. So I set out to make a good change. In the process of starting this project my TV died too. Sad really, not I'm borrowing a 32" that doesn't fit on the articulating wall mount from the former 55" that was there. So I'm watching a much smaller TV now. Anyway, The articulating mount means we can't put the TV but so close to the wall. This left a bit of space that was unused back there. I set out to hide the Xbox, PS3 and other devices. None of them require the device be visible, though the sensor bar for the Wii or the Kinect do need to be in line of sight.

I took two 1"x6"x28" and four brackets and made shelves. I then added vertical supports to protect the gear and ensure it can't fall forward. I'm unable to tuck the wires like they will be since I don't have a TV mounted to the mount, but you get the idea. The PC in the upper left is going to be changed out with a Mini and it will be hidden where the power strip is right now on the shelf to the lower left. I'll also move the Network drop up to the area behind the future TV so you can't see the ethernet or coax connectors. Basically, the idea is no wires or anything visible around the TV other than the sensor bar and Kinect.

Here are the finished images. Yeah, I used my iPhone because it was easier:

This image is to give you a better idea of what it's going to look link once I have a TV to make the connections perfect for. The wires will be run along the arm to ensure no pinching and the perfect length.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.