View Single Post
polvoronn

2005-06-16, 03:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koodari
No matter what I did I could not manage to get the monitor picture to come out well. It's as sharp as I can expect shooting without support, but even in this best version there is white "burnout" on the monitor. The camera is an Ixus 430. Does any photography-minded person want to explain what might be the prob?
The burnout is a result of the relatively small size of the pixels on your ixus 430. The sensor on your camera measures at 7.18 x 5.32 mm. With 3.8 million pixels (approx 4mp) in that little area, you can imagine how small each sensor is.

Now let's make the analogy that each pixel on the sensor is like a bucket in the rain with a cover (the shutter in this case) on top. When the shutter on a camera is released, light goes in and hits he sensor. With our analogy, the cover would come off and water would fill the bucket. The "burnout" occurs when the 'bucket' is 'full' of 'water'. That is, there is too much light for that one pixel to handle.

Now let's look at digital SLR's. Wanna know one reason why they take better pictures? simple: bigger sensors. Imagine a 4mp DSLR camera. As DLSR's come, they have a much larger sensor size. The new 350D has a sensor size of 22.2 x 14.8 mm, so each sensor (bucket) is about 300% larger. Given the same exposure times, each sensor on he 350D will not have to handle as much light, and is therefore better able to prevent any "burnout" because the 'bucket' is less likely to fill up.

Sorry if my explanation was a little unclear. The folks from Canon do a MUCH better job of explaining these things in a way people understand