View Single Post
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2010-02-26, 12:00

OK so what the hell is it when someone lists 7 or 8 names, then follows with "RTnx"?

I've also seen some people use 7 or 8 # phrases, and nothing else.

Also, is it considered bad form to include your twitter link in an email to someone in the same line of work you're introducing yourself to?

There are a few people who, if they were to follow me, could really boost my follower count but I'm obviously not going to ask outright. They have to decide for themselves if they like it, but I can't see any other way of getting them to notice my account exists in the first place. Twitter is like this endless stream of stuff where unless you post constantly (in which case many legit users will un-follow you), or just get lucky and post when someone is looking, everything is missed.

All I can figure is send them an email saying I have an interest in content xyz they posted, here's a site post of mine, and oh by the way my twitter link if you're interested. Otherwise it's like, if you reply to something, they never see it. If you retweet something they never see it (AFAICT). How the hell are you supposed to let people know you find their content worthwhile and are spreading it around, without sounding like you're just after a follow?

I still think this is little more than a self-promotion / marketing gimmick for most users (who are often companies, not individuals).

...into the light of a dark black night.