View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-06-28, 18:45

It doesn't matter. You can't stand there and meticulously lay out pickles - to the point of even picking some of them up and relaying them back down, or nudging them over 1/8th of an inch for better symmetry (which she was doing, numerous times over several sandwiches). It's not that kind of gig, new or not.

If you can't look up, see the 10-14 people standing in line, and take that as a hint to maybe pick up the pace and holster your artistic/designer tendencies, you might be in the wrong job.

Her co-worker seemed a little exasperated as well, so perhaps she'll tell her later when the crowds die down.

"You know, we need to zoom a little more during these crunch times...".

I don't "look down" on anybody, mind you (and I'm glad she's not out sucking dick or slinging dope to pay her bills...so she's obviously got that part of life figured out). But there's a time to be slow, detailed, into your "craft" and go for maximum visual impact. And then there's a time to set all that aside and crank it into gear and lay it down.

Stick her in the back, stocking or prepping. Or out front wiping tables and so forth. But not on the 5:00-7:00 afternoon rush where dozens come in (often ordering multiple sandwiches). At least not until she gets the speed up a bit (hell, she doesn't even have to be fast...she simply can't stand there and make each sandwich a four-minute arts and crafts project).

That's all I'm saying.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2010-06-28 at 18:55.