View Single Post
Matsu
Veteran Member

2021-03-03, 05:58

I've never really fixed the cable management problem at my desk, but perhaps now is a good time since I'll be working from home for at least a year or so. Typically, I use the iMac mainly for photo work, connected to a second 27" display and some external USB3 drives, and all the other crap and nest of wires sit behind the screens. for the last year (almost) I've had my work laptop also plugged into the second monitor during work hours and switch between the laptop keyboard and mouse and the iMac keyboard and mouse as needed. With photo work basically down to nothing, the iMac does little more than play background music/youtube/netflix, while I work on day job tedium. Photoshop and lightroom have only had a decent workout a handful of times since the pandemic began...

Now might be a good time to do some digital spring cleaning. What I want to do is organize and move my libraries to a large external HDD that would remain plugged in (8GB+) and also plug in a second external SSD for ingesting large active projects. My machine is a late 2013 iMac running 10.11.6 and CS6. It has two thunderbolt bidirectional (2X) 10Gb/s ports. One has the second monitor attached. My collection of external drives have all been USB3. Is there a good thunderbolt option for a port replicator, to put the HDD and SSD drives and perhaps some USB replication on one port and leave the second monitor on the other? Ay recommendations?