View Single Post
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2022-05-04, 09:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
To me it’s not about when a person becomes a person, or religious vs not, it’s about peoples freedom to choose. I may or may not agree with peoples choices, but that doesn’t give me the right to take away that choice.
Key to all of this, really - it's not even about you, PB PM, taking it away from me, Capella. It's about the state deciding what I can and can't do with my body and my healthcare. Hell, I'll be the first to Godwin too, and point out that Nazi Germany used the power of the state to criminalize abortion and prevented whole groups of individuals from making their own medical decisions. Their rationale was also to support the primacy of the family and the importance of keeping babies alive, at the cost of turning the people carrying the baby into nothing but a walking incubator-chattel. The state shouldn't be allowed to forcibly sterilize me like it has done to so many Black, Hispanic, Indigenous, low-income women. It also shouldn't be allowed to force me to carry a child.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
I always thought that a good analogy would be if people were in favour of compulsory organ donation for everyone. ie: If you had to donate a kidney to someone who needs one on request. Are you in favour of that?

I think it's a good analogy, except you can donate a kidney and walk away after. Sure, there's not no consequences, but your recovery is done alone in your own hospital bed after it's removed. It's like being forced to be someone's living kidney/dialysis machine for 9 months and tied to them.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder