View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-11-25, 14:43

As you said, selling toys has always been a big part of Star Wars. Here's a tidbit to consider: Is it possible that the toy companies themselves get to sit in on those story meetings and help dream up vehicle ideas that are relatively easy to make and/or play with? I mean, those tracked bikes* would be very easy to reproduce for a company like LEGO who already have all the necessary parts in all the necessary colors, so BAM!

And who doesn't want flying storm troopers*. I mean, when a stormtrooper is part of the game-play and you want to destroy him, you would usually just push him off the edge of a coffee table or dresser or something. Now, you can fling the little bastard across the room into the wall and it's all very "lifelike"!

You have to think of these things from the perspective of marketeers who sell toys, and children who play with them. Then you have a committee meeting and everyone gets together and says, "no, that won't sell," or "no, that will be too hard for us to make," or "no, that looks too much like last years thing and the kids won't scream for a new one," or "destructive little Johnny was a good boy, yes he was, and does he want a flying stome twooper to destroy? Does he?"

As far as the earlier question about "baby Yoda", it's a good thought. It would be interesting if The Mandalorian dude did turn out to have some major impact on Episode IX, although I doubt it. Seriously, since Episode I, I don't think anyone (Lucas or Disney) has actually had a vision of the future and how everything would tie together. The best they seem to be able to do is hook up with the past. Hooking up with the future requires way too much time and forethought for the Kathleen Kennedy era of Star Wars. It's all just a bunch of random shows (Rogue One excepted) that seem to have no purpose other than to sneak another $12 from our pockets. I mean, since Episode 6, there have been 3 whiner-baby movies that failed to sell Vader as evil, 1 remake of Episode 4, 1 very good but plugged into the past rebel adventure, 1 total butchering of the Kessel Run, 1 thing that had Star Wars in the title but was otherwise just a poorly conceived Sci-Fi movie, and a whole bunch of cartoons that are sometimes fun and sometimes weird and don't ever seem to care a lick about cannon. Basically, other than Rogue One there has been nothing written or filmed that really sells the idea of Star Wars as a continuing saga. I mean, I loved Episode 7, but it didn't continue the franchise in any meaningful way, nor did any of its allusions toward future stuff pan out in Episode 8. Seriously, these people cannot see into their own future any further than the opening crawl.

So, yeah, while I can envision a story where the Mandalorian saves the baby Yoda who then teaches Rey how to slap Luke across his baby-killer face, I just don't feel like there is anything in this movie that might lead me to believe that the Mandalorian team and the Episode 9 team have ever even met each other, let alone collaborated on a project. That would indicate that Kathleen Kennedy sees a big picture, and I just don't think she does.

* belated spoiler alert

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)