View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2019-11-27, 10:45

Those 15-second(?) quick-cut TV spots are starting to show up, I’m noticing. Can’t really tell much from them, just (mostly) dialogue-free montage of 1-2 second action clips pieced together (blaster fire, saber swinging, ship flybys, explosions, etc.).

They certainly have an “everything, including the kitchen sink!” vibe to them. I go back to my earlier post above...this movie has 2-3 big things to accomplish...it’s hard to imagine how they’ll go about it, just from a running time/coherent story/focused plot standpoint. It’ll have to hit the ground running...probably not much time for subtlety, quiet reflection, slow-burn tension, casual conversations, etc.

I have a feeling that so much in this upcoming movie will be responses/reactions to criticism they heard from TLJ. In other words, the original plans for Episode IX probably got shuffled aside in favor of damage control, ship-righting, fan-pleasing, etc. while still trying to wrap up both the sequel trilogy story AND the larger, nine-part/four-decade Skywalker saga (which are definitely two separate, distinct lines, considering how they brought back the original cast only to make them sideline, B-plot players whose only purpose was to not act like themselves for a while, and then die).

I don’t envy anyone involved. Seems like one enormous uphill battle/PITA from a moviemaking, storytelling, acting and marketing perspective!

If this thing isn’t just a jumbled mess of trying to be all things to all people here at the last minute (and failing on most every one), I’ll be pleasantly surprised. But I truly can’t see how a lazy, hacky and no-ideas-of-his-own type like Abrams, of all people, pulls it off. Especially with Kennedy’s “notes”/input dogging him the entire way.

“Remember, J.J....we need to make sure Rose gets a lightsaber in her hand at some point, and holds her own in a duel with Kylo and 6-7 troopers.”

“You got it, Kathy...sounds amazing, and exactly like something the audience would love!”

Those two...

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2019-11-27 at 11:06.