View Single Post
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-10-16, 20:01

Normally you don't have to worry too much if you're a seller on eBay, right? Well, I just got this in response to my PowerMac which is up for sale:

Quote:
I am extremely interested in your computer but don't do paypal
anymore. I could have a cashiers check to you by Tuesday morning if
you'd agree to that. I'm located in NH (03844) and would need the
computer by Thursday. I'd pay the shipping. Please hit me up when you
get this. Thanks, Dave Giuca
Seems just a tad fishy to me. While I'd be fine with a cashier's check (I just said Paypal-only to keep out the riffraff), I'm concerned that I won't have enough time to ensure that it clears. He says he can get me one by Tuesday morning, and he'd need the computer by Thursday. That's a really narrow timeframe to work with, and I don't think I'd have enough time to confirm that everything went through by the time I send out the computer. I could always deposit it on Tuesday, then wait until Wednesday to ship it out and just charge him an arm and a leg for shipping (since it truly costs an arm and a leg to ship big items overnight), but I'm still concerned.

Should I be? I am not sure exactly how big of an opportunity there is for fraud with a cashier's check. Once I deposit it, am I in the clear? Or could it get yanked out from under me a day or two later?

EDIT: I'm stupid... I just looked it up and apparently cashier's checks are paid for up-front so I'd be guaranteed the money as long as I have the check.

Last edited by Luca : 2004-10-16 at 20:12.