View Single Post
Koodari
Veteran Member

2006-12-11, 11:28

Hmm.. maybe at this stage things are too fuzzy for comments.

I did some talking with friends about the project. Obviously I need to have a common interface for the traffic of different input/output modules to go through, and what exactly takes care of the storage should be transparent.

The storage component: given that the data we're working with here is something I want to keep for indefinite time, it would be nice for it to be available in a human readable / machine parseable form instead of a binary file readable by a certain version of certain database. This calls for XML. The data can either be stored as such or be extracted from a database as XML periodically for backups. I think I'll go with a single XML file to start with, then move things on a database if it grows big enough to cause slowdown.

What to use for the interface? I can do it in Java, which I am familiar with (other languages I know aren't good for this job). or I could learn Python, which is something I have planned on doing in the next year or two anyway. I hear good things about Python, the XML support and interoperability with other languages, but haven't done any coding with it.

Last edited by Koodari : 2006-12-11 at 11:39.