View Single Post
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-01-07, 00:07

FWIW when I am talking about the concept of global warming I am talking about the whole ball of wax. Things we used to occasionally see but now seem to see all the time, in places we're often not used to seeing them. And to extents we're not used to seeing them. Terrible flooding in a variety of European regions; multiple blizzards in and around Denver over 3 weeks; entire months during the middle of winter that are mild and see no snow fall, in areas where there is usually 18-24 inches of snow; long dry spells in traditionally wet climates and vice versa. Entire glaciers that disappear in the span of 10 years. Giant swaths of permafrost and ice-shelves melting over the span of not decades or centuries, but a few years. And all this crap is happening within a very compressed time period.

No global warming is not just warming, but YES, what we're seeing are the localized effects of global warming. What has to happen before people believe this, "The day after tomorrow"? I mean that movie was bordering on retarded but this sort of makes my point. We're always eager to say "yah but I remember a few winters ago it was unseasonably warm for a time" or whatever. Always easier to dismiss it because it's so hard to believe we've screwed up something so gigantic as the global climate system. We feel so small and see such small parts of the world everyday, we don't realize the huge impact years and years of over-polluting has had. It's the preponderance of evidence that should be leading you to a conclusion (or not), because it's certainly more than one odd thing here or there. It's many things, all over the place, all the freakin time. At least over the last few years that seems to be the new pattern.

Look back at the posts in this thread; half the damn country is experiencing this. And whether it's an el nino or whatever, the fact is, the stuff we are putting into the atmosphere in greater and greater quantities every year, is what's fueling a lot of the screwed up weather / ecological events. It takes the normal patterns and variances, and magnifies them / makes them much worse. So while it's possible this same winter could've occurred before the industrial revolution, in exactly the way it's happening now in exactly the same places and same number of places, it's very unlikely IMHO.

This is something that's man-made. Call it by whatever theoretical name you want; our way of life in the industrialized world, is having negative effects on our climate and ecology worldwide.

...into the light of a dark black night.