View Single Post
Stroszek

Send a message via AIM to Stroszek  
2004-06-15, 14:45

Here's the deal: I moved into my present apartment in late September of 2003. Upon moving in and filling out the move in sheet, where you write about any damages to the apartment, I noted that the roof appeared to be leaking. There was a water stain on the wall above the fireplace. As I was the first person to live in that particular apartment, I knew that it was not something that the previous resident did, but rather a physical defect.

The apartment management has had the roof "fixed" many times, and sent painters to paint the walls many times as well. I put "fixed" in quotes because every time they fixed the roof, it would leak during the next storm. One day I came home from work to find that the wall was wet from ceiling to the floor. The carpet was also wet. This went on for months... They would claim it was fixed, but it wouldn't be, painters wouldn't show up, painters would spatter paint on my belongings, etc.

This has been such a HUGE pain in the ass that I can't really adequately describe the frustrations that I have gone through.

It is nine months later, and the situation has finally been resolved (I hope). The roof has been fixed, and the painters just left. The apartment management has offered to monetarily reimburse me for the pain in the ass that I have had to deal with, and wants to know what I think is fair.

My initial thought was to take the total amount of rent that I have paid thus far ($5584.34), divide it in half (because they provided the apartment the lease promised, but not the "maintenance...with reasonable promptness" promised in the lease ($2792.17). And then multiply that amount bt 13.617%, because the room affected is 13.617% of the apartment ($380.21).

But somehow, $380.21 jsut doesn't seem like all that much for all of the shit I have had to deal with. Am I being unreasonalble? What should I ask for? What would you ask for?