Thread: iPhone X
View Single Post
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2017-12-13, 10:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
The actual FaceID unlock is slower, but in real world usage it’s been faster because by the time I realize FacedID is requesting an unlock, it’s already done it. This was most apparent when Safari wanted to access my keychain. Before I’d have to physically place my thumb on the home button, but now the FaceID throbber just appears in the middle,of the screen and unlocks the feature before you even realize.
Fully disagree. In my experience the only time FaceID is faster is on the home screen when checking notifications. When I bring up an app that requires authentication the FaceID interface takes noticeably longer to detect and unlock than sliding my finger to the home button and activating the 2nd gen TouchID. It isn't even close in my book.

Additionally, doesn't work when you're rolled over on your side in bed. Either it's too close to your face, part of your face is obscured, or the angle is wrong. I've stopped trying to even use FaceID in bed, I just tap through to the password prompt and put that in. FaceID doesn't work in bright sunlight - not a big deal but it seems to happen to me a lot, maybe cause I live in the south.

I have a bit of a problem with the new keyboard, too. At least with the placement of the transcription microphone button (I don't know what it is actually called). I find myself inadvertently activating transcription all the time, maybe my hand is too big / clumsy. Wish I could just move that back to the keyboard like it used to be...

Other thoughts:
  • Gesture to bring up the app switcher is pretty finicky.
  • Apps still not updated for the long screen.
  • I think it's time to reassess the placement of the "back" button that is commonly found in the top left corner of the screen.

Ultimately I guess these are just some of the costs of a Gen 1 device. I expect iOS will go through some growing pains to adapt to this new form factor, next year.

EDIT: Forgot. It is all worth it to the able to unlock the phone without a passcode when running and sweaty.

User formally known as Sh0eWax

Last edited by Maciej : 2017-12-13 at 10:53.