View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-05-23, 15:47

Yeah, we have a service department, and that keyboard issue is being overblown by the media (it exists, just not as bad as claimed). Sorry, I know that's not what people want to hear, and I know some of you have seen the issue, but the number of those things coming back for repair is significantly smaller than the number of new systems going out. Also, the vast majority of that small number are resolved with a blast of air, and most of those are crumbs dropped there by filthy eaters. When air does not work, removal of the key almost always exposes a larger hunk of dried-in ketchup. And then, when that fails, the keyboard gets replaced at no charge. That one is actually faulty. And the number is less than the failure rate of previous generation keyboards.

As for the typing feedback, that is purely subjective.

Wish I could complain, but I see/hear the complaints in person, rather than on a message board, and the complaints are very few and far between, and almost always yield a food-borne cause.

As regards the ports, yeah, Apple dumped every legacy port, and the only one I am sad to see go away is MagSafe, which is definitely a curious omission. But, Apple is always reaching for the future, and the only way to get there is to let go of the past. Otherwise, accessory manufacturers will not follow and customers are left with fewer choices, rather than more. There are now significantly more options for Mac peripheral connection than have ever existed in the past, and that is a good thing.

TouchBar 2 (for lack of a better term) is not a thing and I doubt it ever will be. I am convinced the next full redesign will replace the keyboard with a haptics-driven touch screen. The keyboard and its resident crumb traps will be gone forever. And there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth!

Anyway, it's a very grand update. That 8-core i9 is within CPU-performance spitting distance of an iMac Pro, and is more powerful than any Mac Pro tower. "Apple does not care about Pro's" is laughable at this point.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Last edited by kscherer : 2019-05-23 at 18:53. Reason: Clarification