Thread: Internet Woes
View Single Post
Wrao
Yarp

2007-09-23, 13:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebby View Post
Open Network Utility in the Utilities folder. Click on "Ping" and ping google or some site when the internet is slow. You will see response times that should be 200ms or faster. If it is greater or lost packets your ISP is in trouble. My cable modem dropped 60% of my packets once because my cable was bad. Slowed the internet to a crawl.
I am thinking it very might likely be the cable, or the cable modem. A friend of mine recently got a residential cable line at his new place, and for the first month of having it, he would experience severe packet-loss and drop outs that would amount to numerous disconnects while playing online games. He called the company, the came by and disconnected all the lines that weren't the cable line, this doubled the throughput, and seemingly solved the problem, but then a week later it was back. He called them up again, they came back, this time they spent about 2 hours testing things only to determine that it was, quite simply, a faulty cable modem. They gave him a new one, and since then his internet has not only been reliable, but it has been significantly fast for a residential cable line(due to disconnected the unused cables).

We have had the same cable modem for maybe 4 years now. Do these things ever just break? We have also had a lot of power outages recently, perhaps some circuitry got messed with?