Thread: Server Woes...
View Single Post
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-11-05, 20:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle View Post
If the drives are OK, you should be able to drop them into a new server and it will just boot up - In my experience, Linux has never really bothered too much about what hardware it finds from one boot to the next.

The only one that has stumped me in the past is when the HD's are not recognised under the same name (sdb1 becomes sdc1 or something like that).

If you have a friendly computer shop, they might have a similar motherboard that you can test your RAM and CPU in, if they are still working fine you should easily be able to pick up a new mobo and PSU for under £250.

If your main concern is to just get it up and running again, try and get an exact replacement motherboard (if that is the faulty component).
Cool then. I'll go ahead and get a power supply to see if is all that went wrong. If there's more then I'll just get another bare bones system. I'm really hoping SME is tolerant of the change though. I don't want to lose my info.

kieran23kk, did it ever occure to you that it might have been a typo and that a lesson (and major thread derailment) isn't needed when you have nothing else to add to the OP's question or content? I'm not offended, but I do think you're taking it a little to far.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.