View Single Post
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-04-08, 14:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray
Okay, Windswept, I'll personally recommend an older film to you then. It's one I stumbled across while flicking through channels in a hotel room a few years ago, and it had me riveted to the screen until it finished, when I wrote down the title so I could find out more about it. It's a quirky Welsh film from 2000 called Very Annie-Mary.
Hey, Dorian, thanks for the recommendation. It definitely sounds like an interesting film. I do very much like the small-budget marvels that surface from time to time, and would love to see this one. I don't have time to read the reviews right now, but am looking forward to doing so later.

I'd like to ask your opinion of the film 24 Hour Party People. A friend from Manchester recommended it to me, but I haven't had a chance to see it yet. I imagine you've seen it. Here's a snippet from an imdb reviewer:

Quote:
24 Hour Party People is just one of those movies that has that click with the subject matter. The actual style of the film corresponds with the music, the irreverence, and the energy of it all. But there's more than just the unconventionality of the script and direction; the film has that sort of stream-of-thought, wry, distinct British humor to it, and a sincerity beneath the absurdist parts. [snip]

As much biography as musical, 24 Hour Party People brings to light the scene of Manchester as a history lesson, but an entertaining one to boot. Bands like New Order (the form after Joy Division split) will be known to most who follow music, but if you're not really steeped in the new-wave/dance scene of the 80's and 90's, some of the bands may sound totally unfamiliar. Still, this is not an automatic deterrent- the music is what it is, and most who will want to see the film will know what they're they're getting (in truth, the ratio of British punk and new-wave vs. electronica is fairly balanced).
My friend was at uni during the whole Madchester scene, so I guess he wanted me to see what those times were like back then.

Quote:
A true gem that one rarely has the pleasure of finding. My only complaint is it was too short at 105 minutes!

It's risky to say so, but I think you would also thoroughly enjoy it.
Oh, not so risky. I find plenty to enjoy in almost everything.

Thanks for your post, Dorian. I really *love* reading everything you write. Your skill is remarkable, and your posts are always a delight to experience.