View Single Post
spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2009-10-16, 07:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
not a single person I know who has ever purchased anything at IKEA has had everything they purchased survive completely intact.
I'm not an IKEA fan at all (a lot of their stuff just doesn't fit my tastes), but I just couldn't let this go because it made me think about my IKEA furniture experience. You don't know me - another Internet Stranger here, but I do not recall anything I have ever bought from IKEA breaking or falling apart (or however you want to phrase it), ever.

I've bought random IKEA furniture for the last 20 years or so (since college days). Yes, some of what I bought would be in the unbreakable, "rug" category (i.e., I recall purchasing a rug from there once), but most (> 80%) is furniture.

I still have an old Jerker desk from... let's see... 1994(?). That thing is indestructible. I have a chest of drawers from... I can't even remember. I could probably break it if I tried (unlike the Jerker), but it's in great shape. I have another smaller desk I got about a year ago which is very solid (not falling apart). I have an old table that's fine, a lounge-y type chair that's great (actually it's been outside for a few years), an old coffee table that's now being used to hold workbench-type stuff in the basement (very, very solid). That's just off the top of my head. There's probably more. In case you were wondering, these items are not made of steel. They are all either real wood or, you know, pretend wood.

Most of the furniture I've bought from IKEA is gone now. I suppose it may have fallen apart in the hands of whoever had it after me, but I didn't get rid of anything because it was falling apart while I had it; it's just that when you move and get more space, you often want different, larger furniture, IKEA or not. And, like I said, IKEA didn't really fit my style. Also, I moved far away from my closest IKEA. You don't usually buy a big couch or bedroom set from a place that's a 2 hour drive from your house.

Ugh.