Thread: Car Talk
View Single Post
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-12-21, 06:05

According to Autoblog Spyker has re-submitted a bid for Saab that addresses eleven of the sticking points of their previous bid. The Swedish government has also apparently gotten involved, since they don't want to see Saab go either. The big issue with Spyker's previous bid was intellectual property fears -- namely, involving Spyker's Russian backer -- but I guess if Sweden backs them instead...

I'm trying really hard not to get my hopes up. Spyker's apparently set a deadline of 5pm eastern today, and it's hard to imagine GM changing their mind that quickly. But then again, they are supposed to be trying to be more "decisive," right?

At least we won't have long to wait.

Shutting down Saab now just makes no sense to me. Right before its comeback car comes out? After development is virtually complete on it? And the wagon variant? And apparently the 9-4X crossover? You'd think they'd at least want to try and sell some of them, to cut their losses. But then again, GM has always retained a unique ability to lose money on each car sold.

It looked like they were finally about ready to let Saab be Saab. But I guess that's all a distraction from trying to get young people to buy Buicks, and trying to get soccer moms into GMCs.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong