Thread: Car Talk
View Single Post
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-01-10, 16:17

Speaking of Cadillac...ATS? Converj? Something else?

I can't wait for either car. But I'm not exactly sure what place the Converj is suppose to hold in the line-up? If it's just "the ER-EV Cadillac," couldn't they just make an ATS-E or something? It seems like they would go for a unique body style, too, since they already have the CTS coupe. To me, the name suggests either one of those "four-door coupes" that are all the rage these days (the convergence of a coupe and sedan) or a hard-top convertible (the convergence of a coupe and a convertible) but the concept was neither. So I guess we'll see.

Of course, the name will probably change to something like "VRJ" by the time it's released (Voltec Racing Jalopy?), so what "Converj" suggests may well be irrelevant. In any case, I hope it stays super-edgy and low-slung and sporty, something that would take the place of the XLR. A Z Series to the CTS coupe's 6 Series.

Either that, or a fastback or shooting brake, something like an electric Scirocco. Ooh.

Am I the only one who's annoyed that the automotive press got to see the ATS (or a styling example, anyway) six months ago and we aren't even going to see it at NAIAS (probably)? Cadillac is sort of taking their time with their turnaround, no? I mean, I know GM has been having financial troubles, but they've delayed the ATS, et al so many times. By the time the ATS and XTS hit (2012?), we'll need a new (or at least mid-cycle-refreshed) CTS to accompany them! Hopefully, that's the plan.

Still not a fan of the XTS moniker. In alphanumeric parlance, X = crossover/SUV. Sure, there was the XLR, but that's obviously a sort of pun ("accelerate"), as well as its own...thing. If it's supposed to stand for "Extended Touring Sedan," why not "ETS"? Makes sense, as the successor to the DTS, and then you'd have a nice ATS/CTS/ETS thing going.

But then again, Cadillac's whole nomenclature is a mess. You have the Catera Touring Sedan...coupe. And you still have the Escalade, which doesn't fit in at all (but of course they'll never change it). I get that "CTS coupe" has more name recognition than "CTC" would, but I still find it irksome

They're miles ahead of Lincoln, though, who went through four different alphanumeric schemes in about as many years. And "CTS" still rolls off the tongue far easier than "MKZ." What were they thinking?

And yes, I know all my posts turn into rants about naming. But if you're going to try and have a cohesive naming scheme, you have to be cohesive, you have to do it right. MKT? WTF is that shit?

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong