View Single Post
Windswept
On Pacific time

2004-10-29, 16:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akumulator
Okay. I have a problem with my car. I had a leak in the seal of the sunroof and apparently it's been there for a while. I didn't notice until last week when I backed out and water poured from the ceiling. Anyway, the leak's been fixed but the back floorboard is wet underneath. The carpet is pretty much dry, but when I push on the floorboard there's a squish. It's like a damn waterbed back there. I've searched all around and tried to find a good way to get the carpet up, but I can't find one......

So, there are two small holes under the front seat where I think I'll feed a small hose hooked to a small pump to try and pump the water out. What do you guys recommend at getting out the water and moisture if that doesn't work? I going to go later and buy some DampRid and see if that does anything. My car's really starting to smell mildewy.

The sooner I can get this dry and smelling better, the sooner I can trade it in. Any suggestions?

Btw, it's a 2000 VW... nothing but problems..don't get one.
During one bad rainstorm, my condo roof developed a leak. Water came down through the wall, flooding part of the carpeted floor in the master bedroom walk-in closet.

I took a full box of table salt, sprinkled the entire contents onto the wet carpet, and worked the salt in as well as I could with my fingers. I had a good half inch of salt on top the carpet.

Well, the salt absorbed the water, even from under the carpet, apparently. And since I did it right away, I didn't have any mildew. However, I live in a generally dry climate, so that helps. (Later, when everything was completely dry, I just vacuumed up the now-dry salt.)

It would be worth a try. You could also open all the car doors and windows, and position a floor fan to blast air on the wet carpet, after you put the salt on. I think I used a fan on the bedroom-closet carpet to speed up the salt drying-process. Avoid closing the car up tightly while the carpet is still sodden.

You could go to a place that specializes in detailing/waxing cars and have them take their shop-vac to the carpet, before you try the salt & fan. Their shop-vac should have really strong suction to get most of that water up.

Whaddaya think?

Good luck.